One of the most spectacular natural occurrences on earth is the great exodus in East Africa. Throughout the Serengeti in Tanzania and the Masai Mara in Kenya, millions of wildebeest, zebras, and other herbivores move each year in quest of food and water. This amazing trip is a sight to behold, and experiencing it firsthand is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Here is all the information you require about viewing the big migration in East Africa.
When to Go
The great migration is a year-round event, but the best time to witness it is during the dry season, which is from July to September. This is when the wildebeest and zebras cross the Mara River in search of fresh grazing lands, and the predators are out in force.
Where to Go
The great migration takes place across the Serengeti in Tanzania and the Masai Mara in Kenya. Each park offers a unique experience, so it’s worth considering which one is best for you.
The Serengeti is known for its vast grasslands, which offer uninterrupted views of the migration. The park is also home to a wide variety of predators, including lions, leopards, and cheetahs.
The Masai Mara, on the other hand, is known for its rolling hills and vast savannas. It’s a great place to witness river crossings, where the wildebeest and zebras cross the Mara River, often under the watchful eyes of crocodiles and other predators.
How to See the Migration
There are a few different ways to see the great migration in East Africa:
- Safari: One of the most popular ways to witness the migration is on a safari. Many tour operators offer guided tours of the Serengeti and the Masai Mara, which include game drives and the opportunity to witness the migration up close.
- Hot Air Balloon: For a truly unique experience, consider taking a hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti or the Masai Mara. This offers a bird’s eye view of the migration and is a great way to see the herds from above.
- Walking Safari: For a more immersive experience, consider a walking safari. This offers the opportunity to get up close and personal with the wildlife and witness the migration on foot.
Tips for Witnessing the Migration
- Be Prepared: The great migration is an unpredictable event, so it’s important to be prepared for anything. Bring plenty of water, sunscreen, and insect repellent. Also, be sure to dress in layers as the temperature can vary throughout the day.
- Stay Safe: Remember that you are in a wild and unpredictable environment, so it’s important to stay safe. Always listen to your guide’s instructions and stay in designated areas.
- Be Patient: Witnessing the great migration can take time and patience. Be prepared to spend time waiting for the herds to arrive and don’t be discouraged if you don’t see a river crossing on your first day.
The great migration in East Africa is an incredible natural spectacle that should be on every traveler’s bucket list. With the right preparation and a little bit of patience, witnessing the migration in person is an unforgettable experience that will stay with you for a lifetime. So, start planning your trip to East Africa and get ready to witness one of the world’s greatest wildlife events.